Work Permits and Child Labor

In New Hampshire, minors ages 12-15 must obtain a work permit within the first 3 days of employment. Minors ages 16-17 do not require a work permit, however a written/signed letter of permission must be submitted by the parents to the employer (this is not required if you have already graduated from high school or obtained your GED). 

ASD can assist with work permits. Please be sure to follow the steps below:

  1. Secure a position of employment/volunteerism/internship
  2. Obtain a copy of the Employer's Request for Child Labor (ERCL) form found at
  3. Fill the top portion of the ERCL form with your parent's help. Have the employer complete the bottom portion and sign
  4. Arrange for you and a parent/legal guardian to bring the completed ERCL form to Mrs. Doyle at ASD. A parent must accompany you, as they need to provide a signature. Proof of birthday is not required. Since you are an ASD student, your date of birth has already been verified and is on file in your student record.
  5. ASD will provide you with a work permit, and will return your ERCL form
  6. Give the work permit and ERCL form back to your employer
More information on the State of New Hampshire's Child Labor Laws can be found here: